Bishop Roberts of the Pittsburgh Conference of the Methodist Church appointed the Reverend Abner Jackson as the first minister to this new church. Rev. Jackson selected five local men who purchased one acre of land for $20 on the south side of the Kuskusky Indian trail (now known as West Ingomar Road) and erected a log structure as their first meeting house.
A one-room frame structure with vertical board siding was built around this time. The church was now known as Franklin Methodist Episcopal (M. E.) Church.
A somewhat larger one-room frame structure (without basement, central heating, plumbing or electricity) was built.
A greatly enlarged brick church which included many modern conveniences was dedicated on August 1, 1915. At that time, the membership had swelled to more than 200 and a church with expanded seating capacity was necessary.
Sparked by the leadership of Dr. Elmer Parks, the 1952 proposed expansion of Sunday School space was revised to include an expanded new sanctuary. The congregation grew so rapidly during this time that even though the space added for Sunday School was now four times larger, it was quickly filled. At this time, the church was known as Ingomar Community Methodist Church.
The Christian Education Building was built on land across Ingomar Road from the existing brick church.
The members of Ingomar United Methodist Church authorized the largest construction project undertaken to date. A new, 600-seat sanctuary was completed in May 1991. The congregation celebrated Pentecost in the walls of the glorious new building.
Ingomar renovated and re-dedicated its former church building as the Community Life Center in order to expand its outreach ministries, programs, and mission of making disciples for Jesus christ. The renovated building contains a multi-activity center with sports carpeting and facilities for basketball and other sports, a cafe, classroom space, meeting space, and administrative offices.
The history of Ingomar United Methodist Church continues to be written. From its humble beginnings as a “Log Church,” our congregation has continued to plant and grow seeds of Christian faith in Pittsburgh’s North Hills for 175 years… and counting!